Can I Use an Expired Fire Extinguisher?
Simply put, you should not use an expired fire extinguisher. However, with proper care and maintenance, your fire extinguisher should be able to last 10 – 12 years. The experts at Confires can help you determine if your fire extinguisher is still safe and reliable to use by performing a hydro-test. In the event that your fire extinguisher is no longer safe to use, we can also provide you with a new one.
Keep your building safe—contact Confires for fire extinguisher services in New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Northern Delaware. Fill out the form to the right or call 888-228-0917 888-228-0917 to schedule your service!
When Does a Fire Extinguisher Need to Be Replaced?
Your fire extinguisher needs to be replaced when:
- The seal around the neck is weakened or broken down, allowing the compressed air to escape. This will lower the pressure in the fire extinguisher and cause it to malfunction.
- The chemical powder in your fire extinguisher settles on the bottom of and gets packed down. If this happens, a professional fire protection services company can empty and recharge your fire extinguisher so you won’t have to replace it.
- The hose or nozzle is cracked, ripped, or clogged.
- The pin is missing or unsealed.
- The handle is broken or wobbly.
- The inspection tag is missing.
How to Dispose of a Fire Extinguisher
Because they are full of pressurized chemicals, fire extinguishers can’t simply be thrown in the trash—you need to take certain steps to make sure it is safe.
If the fire extinguisher is not empty:
- Call the fire department and see if you can drop your fire extinguisher off at the firehouse.
- If the fire department doesn’t take it, take your fire extinguisher to your nearest hazardous waste disposal facility.
If the fire extinguisher is empty:
- Squeeze the lever to make sure that all of the pressure has been released.
- Remove the fire extinguisher head so that whoever disposes of the extinguisher knows that all of the contents have been removed.
- Once the fire extinguisher is completely empty and the head has been removed, most recycling facilities should accept the steel body.
Why Choose Confires for Fire Extinguisher Services?
The best thing about partnering with Confires is that we are your single-source solution for all fire protection services. Our experienced fire safety professionals specialize in all aspects of fire protection, including:
- Commercial kitchen fire suppression
- Fire suppression systems
- Fire extinguishers
- Fire alarm systems
- Fire sprinkler systems
- Emergency exit lighting
- Contained gases
- And more!
Are you located in New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Northern Delaware and want to learn more? Call us today to speak with one of our experienced fire safety professionals and discover why top names in business and the government consistently recommend Confires.
Contact us online or by phone at 888-228-0917 to schedule your appointment!
If you like this then you might like: Fire Extinguishers: Refill or Replace?Category: Fire Extinguishers