How to Take Care of Fire Sprinkler Systems
As a business owner, you know how important it is to make sure your fire protection systems are safe and well-maintained. So how can you keep your fire sprinkler system in great shape at all times? By scheduling routine fire sprinkler inspections with a professional fire protection company, you can rest assured that your fire sprinklers will work in case of an emergency. However, it’s important to take care of your fire sprinklers in between those inspections.
Here are some fire sprinkler system care tips from the fire protection experts at Confires—and if you want to get in touch with us, call 888-228-0917 today!
Fire Sprinkler Maintenance Tips
When it comes to your fire sprinklers, there are some practices you should (and shouldn’t) do.
- Test your fire sprinkler system monthly by opening the test valve and listening for the alarm bell.
- Know the location of your fire sprinkler shutoff valve.
- Ensure that the fire sprinkler control valve stays open.
- Have your system reevaluated for potential upgrades.
- Paint the heads of the fire sprinklers.
- Forget to report any signs of damage on the sprinkler system.
- Hang objects from the sprinkler heads.
- Obstruct or cover the sprinklers.
Schedule Quarterly Fire Sprinkler Inspections
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), a fire sprinkler system should be inspected at least quarterly in order to make sure your system stays in top shape. Additionally, the NFPA recommends that you test your sprinklers when you:
- Add or change a backflow preventer or water meter.
- Drastically change the occupancy or use of your building.
- Make remodeling changes to your building.
- Experience shifts in public water supply.
Your fire sprinkler system has some components that require maintenance or replacement at different intervals:
- Gauges. These should be replaced or tested every five years by a licensed fire sprinkler technician. This fire protection expert will be able to determine the calibration.
- Sprinkler heads. Every 50 years, your sprinkler heads should be replaced! However, if your sprinkler heads fall under the “fast response” category, they should be replaced every 20 years.
- Valves. Every five years, your sprinkler valves should be internally inspected.
If your fire sprinkler system suffers damages that require repairs, call a professional fire protection company today! They will be able to fix your system and make sure your building stays safe and up to code.
New Jersey Fire Sprinkler System Maintenance
In addition to providing inspections for your fire sprinkler system, the experts at Confires can help you with all of your fire sprinkler system needs, including:
We have over 30 years of experience providing fire protection services to our customers in New Jersey, Delaware, and Philadelphia. Call 888-228-0917 or fill out a contact form to learn more!
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here