How Often Should Fire Extinguishers Be Inspected?
As you go about day-to-day business operations, you probably don’t give much thought to the fire extinguishers positioned in various corners around the building. However, if a blaze ever breaks out, you’ll be glad to know you have functioning fire extinguishers at your disposal.
So how often should fire extinguishers be inspected in your building?
You need to perform certain fire extinguisher inspections monthly, yearly, and every six years. The steps that take place during each inspection vary, and you must plan to hire a professional to perform the annual and six-year fire extinguisher inspections.
To schedule a fire extinguisher inspection in New Jersey, Delaware, or Philadelphia, contact us online now!
Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Plan to perform the items on this list monthly or assign someone in your business to do so:
- Make sure fire extinguishers are installed properly and not obstructed by furniture or other items. Check that all employees know where every fire extinguisher is located.
- Inspect each fire extinguisher for physical damage. The locking pin should be intact, tamper seal unbroken, and nozzle unclogged.
- Make sure each fire extinguisher is pressurized. First check that the pressure dial is pointing to the green. Then physically lift the fire extinguisher to make sure it feels full.
- Ensure all labels and tags on each fire extinguisher are legible. Check the date of the last professional inspection and schedule services if more than 12 months have passed.
- Initial and date the back of the tag to show you’re keeping up with monthly fire extinguisher inspections.
Annual Fire Extinguisher Inspections
You should hire a professional inspector to visit your property once a year. In addition to the steps on the monthly list, the technician will complete the following:
- Verify that fire extinguishers are placed every 75 feet of travel on every floor of the building and within 30 feet of cooking equipment.
- Check for any modifications that could reduce the effectiveness of each fire extinguisher.
- Tag and date each fire extinguisher to show your business is keeping up with annual professional fire extinguisher inspections.
Six-Year Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Rechargeable fire extinguishers require more in-depth inspections every six years. This involves conducting a hydrostatic test, which requires the fire extinguishers to be emptied, placed under water and subjected to pressures exceeding their ratings. Cylinders that fail the test are destroyed while those that pass are reassembled, recharged and placed back in service.
Fire Extinguisher Inspections In NJ, DE & Philadelphia
Remember to keep up with monthly fire extinguisher inspections. Then, contact Confires when it’s time for annual or six-year inspections in New Jersey, Delaware, and Philadelphia, PA.
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here