Fire Extinguisher Repairs in New Jersey, Delaware & Pennsylvania
Whether you’re the owner or manager of a property, school facility, restaurant, industrial manufacturing facility, or other commercial business, fire extinguishers are essential fire safety tools to have on the premises. Required by most local fire codes and standards, fire extinguishers protect you, your property, staff, and residents from fire.
Buying and placing the appropriate number of fire extinguishers is a good start. But to ensure peace of mind and meet local, state, and federal regulations, it’s crucial to maintain them with proper fire extinguisher services like fire extinguisher repairs and fire extinguisher inspections.
To learn more about fire extinguisher repair services for your NJ, DE, or PA business, contact Confires online today or call us at (888) 228-0917.
Common Signs a Fire Extinguisher Needs Repair
Portable fire extinguishers are a convenient and helpful way to put out small fires and protect lives and property. Depending on the type of fire extinguisher, a typical life span is five to 12 years. After that, they must be tested to ensure they are still working properly. If they pass the test, they can be recharged for another five, six, or 12 years, depending on the type. To prolong the life of your fire extinguisher, make sure to keep an eye out for signs that it may need repair.
Everyone in your building or facility should know where the fire extinguishers are located. There should be proper training in their use, and people should know what to look for to ensure they’re in good working order. Knowing whether a fire extinguisher needs repair or replacement can prevent fire-related disasters.
Some signs you may need repairs are a broken handle, loose components, bent or damaged parts, incorrect gauge readings, a worn or damaged hose, or missing parts. In many cases, the need for repair can be hard to spot, so make sure you’re scheduling annual professional maintenance for your fire extinguishers.
Routine Inspections Detect the Need for Fire Extinguisher Repair
All fire extinguishers require annual professional maintenance and tagging. Since different fire extinguisher parts need to be checked at different times, routine inspections and maintenance are recommended.
- Each month, a trained person should check each extinguisher to make sure it’s in the right location, is accessible, has a clear and legible tag, has unaltered seals, and is not damaged in any way. You should keep a record proving these monthly inspections were performed.
- Each year, your regularly scheduled fire extinguisher service should include an inspection by a licensed professional like Confires. Depending on the type of extinguisher, it should also be inspected once annually and tested every five, six, or 12 years.
During these routine inspections, our fire protection professionals can detect any issues with your fire extinguisher and determine if a repair to your fire extinguisher is needed.
Have questions on how to ensure your fire extinguishers are properly inspected? Contact Confires online today or call us at (888) 228-0917.
Should You Replace or Repair Your Fire Extinguisher?
If any of these conditions apply to one or more of your fire extinguishers, it may be time for a replacement:
- The extinguisher was accidentally discharged.
- The inspection hangtag or sticker is missing.
- The locking pin on the handle is missing or unsealed.
- The hose or nozzle is cracked, torn, or blocked with debris.
- Rust or corrosion is visible.
- The handle is wobbly or broken.
- The extinguisher develops a leak.
It’s worth noting if your fire extinguishers are old and have been serviced multiple times, it might be worth investing in new ones, even if they’re still technically functional.
Always have a qualified contractor repair or replace your commercial fire extinguishers. Contact Confires Fire Protection Service online today or call us at (888) 228-0917 to learn why.
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here